There was an error in this gadget

Monday, July 30, 2012

How to survive a Movie Shoot, & a Epic Teen Party!

I am alive, but barely. 

I am 36 and too old for this.

I feel it in my bones....

It used to be cool to say I stayed out to 6:00 am...

And then sleep 3 hours and wake up and have a EPIC TEENAGE SWIM PARTY....

Not so cool now, but yet that is exactly what I did this weekend. No lie.

I am a P.A for a movie called The Hollow Oak, directed by the Talented Chris Maney.  We were supposed to be on set at 1 p.m., but of course we were late.  So Man-child and I got there at  3 p.m. While Crazy-hubby, Girl-child, and Things 1, 2, and 3 were at a wedding reception, complete with an obstacle course. Why the obstacle course? Cause we have some of the coolest neighbor's in the World... From the pictures I've seen, the men let the kids play on it for a while, and then when the men were sufficiently drunk  relaxed, and a thunderstorm had come thru the men went thru the course...And it was hilarious... I would love to post video of it that hubby took, but can't seem to find my camera cord...But trust me, it was You-Tube worthy!!!!
Anyway, back to the movie shoot... There is nothing like being around a bunch of 15-26 years old to realize THAT YOU ARE OLD....AND SO, NOT COOL ANYMORE. Before we started this journey into "movie making" we were blissfully ignorant to what went on. NOT ANY MORE. I am in awe at what all actually has to happen BEFORE the shooting begins, and How Many Takes you have to do to get that perfect one. We've  been a part of this project since last Fall. AND I'VE LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT. Man-child has a small part in it....Girl-Child has a larger role.. Alas, that's why Mama's on set....Then I was asked to be a Production Assistant and be in charge of extra's.... Wanna know all the cool stuff that your teenagers know? Just get a in a room filled with like, 35 teenagers, and you will find out EVERYTHING.... Stuff that you don't want to know, stuff you already knew, stuff you CAN NOT BELIEVE that teen's know, and stuff that you could have went YOUR ENTIRE ADULT LIFE WITHOUT KNOWING. Trust me....It's an Eye opener. All I can say is that I am so glad we didn't have Facebook and Twitter when I  was growing up....I would have so, been in trouble... The shoot went on until 6 in the morning....and then we (re: the adult's) had to clean up and pack up props....But I have met some Awesome, eccentric, and inspiring people while on this journey. I've met parent's who have sacrificed everything, so that their kid's dreams could come true. I mean the money that goes into this kinda thing is monumental. There are auditions, photo shoots, drama classes, and countless other things that these parents go thru for their kids. To be honest with you, this just kinda fell into our laps. See the Talented, writer, director, producer Chris Maney is also my nephew.  Now I know what your thinking...Aha, that's how her kids got in the movie...that's true to some degree, they were EXTRA's first.....then they were asked to try out for some other parts and got that ON THEIR OWN. I mean we are family, and we would do anything for each other, and that is why, in part, that we are on this journey....But it is not all... Girl-Child want's to do acting, and singing (thus the voice lessons, and $500.00 summer choral camps at ECU) and this is given us a peek at just what has to happen to MAKE THAT DREAM COME TRUE....All the while, helping our Nephew MAKE HIS DREAM COME TRUE......and believe me (and other's) he is extremely talented, and has managed to put together a good team to help make this movie....There's the Assistant Director, and the sound guy, and the extra camera guy.....and Eric, and Jo, and Jessica, and Lexi...the list goes on and on...
Anyway, if you wanna catch a glimpse at what We are doing.....Go on facebook and look up                   The Hollow Oak.....And Chris Maney productions...

And oh yeah, the EPIC TEENAGE SWIMMING PARTY...
Girl-child has been baby-sitting full time this summer and has saved up her money. And what did she want to do with her money? New clothes? New makeup? Nope, she wanted a party...a EPIC PARTY...at our local Swimming Hole..... So after getting home at 6 am, and getting about 3 hours of sleep, We took.....wait for it.......5 of our kids, and 10 OTHER TEENAGERS...swimming... what was I thinking? It took 2 cars, some illegal seating arrangement's to make it happen but we got there. And the cost to me and Hubby: our sanity, and gas money..But Girl-Child paid for EVERYTHING....and packed it all...The Grill, the utensils, i mean everything.....We had hot dogs,and chips, and candy, and WAY to much Soda....
But I have to admit that with only 3 adults (our friend Tina was there) and 15 kids to watch was a pretty daunting task.....I felt like I was in school again, constantly counting kids, 1,2,3....etc.... And since it was teenagers, and their was some boyfriend/girlfriend there, we were like HAWKS watching... After-all we were responsible for these kids.....Nothing bad happened....
But the fun they had was Fantastic.... There was races across the lake, chicken fights, hillbilly fishing with bread on their heads (if you don't know, don't ask) and friendships that were even more solid than before. As for us adults, well, we were pretty beat, and could have used a Xanax vacation by the end of it...And i'm not sure if we could handle another party like that anytime soon, but it's good memories, and let's face it....Man-child is 17, and Girl-child is 15, and time is ticking ever so fast towards them having their own wings to fly....that THIS MAMA will take all the 6am movie shoots, and Epic Teen parties that i can have, because before long, they will not want to hang out with us.......and Life Happens......so we are going to make the most of it.....
and BTW, we felt like a taxi service dropping off the kids that didn't belong to us off.....but the ride home, alone with just Hubby and me, was a price well paid for my kids to make memories.....

One Tired Mother,
Jamie

P.S. I will SO post pictures of the Obstacle Course, and the Epic Teen Party when I can find the darn cord...... It's probably hiding out with my SANITY...

2 comments:

If ya'll liked it leave a comment...
If ya'll didn't like it just leave :)